You should always take your child with you shoe shopping. It’s important that they have an opportunity to check the fit themselves, and participate in the selection.
Here are a few tips to make sure you and your child leaves with the perfect pair:
- Shop later in the day. Even little feet tend to swell a bit as the day progresses. If you shop in the evening, the shoes you buy should be a good fit since feet are at their largest at the end of day.
- Bring the correct socks. Sock width makes a difference in terms of the fit. Don’t wear thick, fuzzy socks when trying out a pair of athletic shoes!
- Always measure BOTH feet. Kids can change shoe sizes multiple times per year, and it’s very common for one foot to be a little larger than the other. Measure both, and make sure any pair you buy fits the larger foot comfortably.
- Check the heel counter. It should be firm, and shouldn’t collapse when you press on it from both sides.
- Check the toe flexibility. The area of the shoe around the toe box should bend gently along with the natural motion of the foot, but you shouldn’t be able to fold it.
- Check the rigidity of the middle. Grab the front of the shoe with one hand, and the back of the shoe with the other. The shoe should be rigid enough that it can’t be easily twisted.
- Check the size and spacing. There should be around half an inch of space between the front of the shoe and the longest toe.
- Have your child walk around in them. New shoes will always feel a little “off” at first, but they should be comfortable to wear and walk in them immediately. Do not expect uncomfortable shoes to break in—because they won’t.
- Pick up two pairs, if you can. Being able to rotate between shoes on a day-to-day basis helps keep each pair drier, and decreases the risks of attracting fungal or viral infections.
One more quick tip:
If your child does start complaining about feet that are in pain, or develops unwanted ingrown nails, skin infections, or other problems, please bring them in to see Dr. Brandy at Trinity Foot Center.
We love working with kids and will do everything we can to help keep their feet healthy and strong, so that they can run, jump, and enjoy being kids!
To schedule an appointment with us, please call (972) 293-9650. Alternatively, you can fill out a contact form and someone from our office will follow up with you shortly thereafter.